Skip to main content

Story Planning: Ganesha the Remover of Obstacles

For my storybook I intend to write about the God Ganesha and the iconography associated with him. For my introduction I intend to use the book Hindu Gods & Goddesses by Sunita Pant Bansal, which I found a copy of at my house, to talk about the different iconography's associated with Ganesha and what they symbolize.

Hindu Gods & Goddesses Notes:

  • Elephant head represents wisdom, understanding, and a discriminating intellect
  • The right tusk represents wisdom
  • The left tusk represents emotion
    • The broken left tusk represents the idea that one must conquer emotions with wisdom
  • The four arms represent that the lord is omnipresent and omnipotent
    • The ax in the upper right hand represents that one should cut wordily attachments and conquer emotions
    • The lotus in the upper left hand also represents this
    • The lower right hand is shown in a blessing pose for his devotees
  • The tray of laddus represents that he bestows wealth and prosperity to his followers
  • The left side of the body symbolizes emotion
  • The right side of the body symbolizes reason
  • The mouse symbolizes the ego that a person can have
    • The mouse being a vehicle symbolizes that one must control ego in order for a person to gain wisdom
  • The color of the clothes he wears also symbolize something
    • The yellow symbolizes purity, peace, and truthfullness
    • The red symbolizes the activity in the world

A picture of Ganesha

I'll probably use this image or something similar to it to show ganesha with all his iconography.

Comments

  1. Hi Trishna! Just a quick note: the story planning is for the reading/story assignments you are doing each week, not really for the Storybook. So it's fine that you did this next time, but the idea with the story planning would have been to do follow-up research on Sita Sings the Blues, which was the unit you did this week. I hope that makes sense... and for this week it's fine; just remember for next time that the story assignment is connected to the reading you did earlier in the week; the Storybook project is something separate. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To a Future Architect

My name is Trishna Patel and I'm a second year architecture major. My main hobby (if you can consider it one) is watching tv mostly tv shows, documentaries, and anime. I also like to watch movies. Mostly action and sci-fi movies but also ones based off of real life stories. I absolutely love all the Marvel movies and the Harry Potter movies. I also like to read books mostly young adult and romance books. If I'm not doing either of the two I'm usually in my studio classroom in Gould Hall doing whatever project I was assigned. Picture of Gould Hall that houses OU's College of Architecture Washington Times This summer I went on vacation in Africa. My dad was born in Zambia and spent most of his childhood there so he wanted to show us the place he grew up in. We spent two days in Lusaka where he was born, and then we went to Livingston where we saw Victoria Falls. We also spent some time in Tanzania where we took a day hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro and a week long sa