Skip to main content

Week 14 Story: The Unknown Brother

One day Narada had a mango and he decided to go and offer it to one of Shiva’s sons. As he was making the climb up Mount Kailasa Narada wondered which of Shiva’s sons he should give the mango to. Unable to decide, Narada came up with an idea to decide who to give the mango to.

Narada finally made it to the top and sitting there were the people he had come looking for.

Shiva smiled and said, “What brings you here to today, Narada?”

Narada smiled at Shiva and Parvati and then turned towards their sons and said, “I came to give this mango to one of your sons. I have also made a competition to decide who gets the mango. The person who can go around the world three times before the other gets the mango.”

And with that statement Kartikeya jumped onto his peacock and immediately went off. As he was going around the world Ganesha just sat there and happily watched his brother going around the world. As they sat there Parvati and Narada were wondering why Ganesha did not get up and start his leg of the race. Shiva, however, sat there smiling having already figured out what his son was doing.

As Kartikeya was nearing the end of his third lap around the world. Ganesha quickly jumped up and ran around his parents three times and said, “I have won the race.”

Kartikeya asked, “What are you talking about?”

Ganesha replied, “I went around what I consider to be my world. While you went around the actual objective world.

Narada agreed with Ganesha winning the race and gave him the mango. Karikeya was angered by this and left and moved toward the South.

Author’s Note:
I stuck pretty close to the original story while writing this. Narada is a sage that is mentioned in the Mahabharata. In India the North direction is associated with wisdom. So the significance of Karikeya moving South is the opposite.

Ganesha and Karikeya racing

Bibliography:
99 Thoughts On Ganesha by Devdutt Pattanaik


Comments

  1. Hi Trishna,

    This is a really good story your wrote right here. I like the way that you took the original story and made it into something of your own. The characters you chose to develop your plot around were very good and I like the way you developed them throughout the story. Really good job and keep up the good work.

    Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trishna!
    This was a really cute story! I haven't read the original, but I like any story where Ganesha wins. He's my favorite. As I was reading it, I kept wondering what was so special about that mango that Kartikeya was willing to go to so much effort to get it. Then, when it got to the end and Ganesha took the clever (and lazy) way out, I realized why he's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trishna!
    I really enjoyed this story! I had not ever read the original story or really any stories about Shiva and Parvati after their initial meeting. I thought you did a great job of making the story cute and fun. I also thought the twist at the end was great. It reminded me of how a lot of laws have loopholes! Great job and I can't wait to read more of your work!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi trishna! This is the second retelling of this story I've read and it's interesting to see the subtle differences that you choose to keep in your version. for example I had not read about the other brother moving South, but after a trick like that was pulled on him I can't blame him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cảm ơn vi một bài viết xuất sắc. Mình cũng muốn giới thiệu về một thương hiệu dịch thuật uy tín: Công ty CP dịch thuật miền trung - MIDtrans địa chỉ 02 Hoàng Diệu, TP Đồng Hới, tỉnh Quảng Bình có Giấy phép kinh doanh số 3101023866 cấp ngày 9/12/2016 là đơn vị chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật, phiên dịch dành các cá nhân. Hệ thống thương hiệu và các Công ty dịch thuật con trực thuộc: công ty dịch thuật sài gòn 247 địa chỉ 47 Điện Biên Phủ, Phường Đakao, Quận 1 TP HCM, dịch thuật bình dương : địa chỉ 123 , Lê trọng tấn, dĩ an, bình dương là nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch thuật uy tín hàng đầu tại bình dương translation in Vietnam : dịch vụ dịch thuật cho người nước ngoài có nhu cầu, giao diện tiếng Anh dễ sử dụng; dịch thuật công chứng quận 6 (sáu) : nhà cung ứng dịch vụ dịch vụ dịch thuật phiên dịch hàng đầu tại Quận 4, TP HCM; công ty dịch thuật Đà Nẵng : Địa chỉ 54 Đinh Tiên Hoàng, Quận Hải Châu, TP Đà Nẵng chuyên cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật công chứng, dịch thuật chuyên ngành tại Đà Nẵng. Chúng tôi chuyên cung cấp các dịch vụ biên dịch và phiên dịch, dịch thuật công chứng chất lượng cao hơn 50 ngôn ngữ khác nhau như tiếng Anh, Nhật, Hàn, Trung, Pháp, Đức, Nga, Tây Ban Nha, Bồ Đào Nha, Ý, Ba Lan, Phần Lan, Thái Lan, Hà Lan, Rumani, Lào, Campuchia, Philippin, Indonesia, La Tinh, Thụy Điển, Malaysia, Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ..vv... Dịch thuật MIDtrans tự hào với đội ngũ lãnh đạo với niềm đam mê, khát khao vươn tầm cao trong lĩnh vực dịch thuật, đội ngũ nhân sự cống hiến và luôn sẵn sàng cháy hết mình. Chúng tôi phục vụ từ sự tậm tâm và cố gắng từ trái tim những người dịch giả.Tự hào là công ty cung cấp dịch thuật chuyên ngành hàng đầu với các đối tác lớn tại Việt nam trong các chuyên ngành hẹp như: y dược (bao gồm bệnh lý), xây dựng (kiến trúc), hóa chất, thủy nhiệt điện, ngân hàng, tài chính, kế toán. Các dự án đã triển khai của Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp MIDtrans đều được Khách hàng đánh giá cao và đạt được sự tín nhiệm về chất lượng biên phiên dịch đặc biệt đối với dịch hồ sơ thầu , dịch thuật tài liệu tài chính ngân hàng, dịch thuật tài liệu y khoa đa ngữ chuyên sâu. Đó là kết quả của một hệ thống quản lý chất lượng dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp, những tâm huyết và kinh nghiệm biên phiên dịch nhiều năm của đội ngũ dịch giả của chúng tôi. Hotline: 0947688883. email: info@dichthuatmientrung.com.vn . Các bạn ghé thăm site ủng hộ nhé. Cám ơn nhiều

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To a Future Architect

My name is Trishna Patel and I'm a second year architecture major. My main hobby (if you can consider it one) is watching tv mostly tv shows, documentaries, and anime. I also like to watch movies. Mostly action and sci-fi movies but also ones based off of real life stories. I absolutely love all the Marvel movies and the Harry Potter movies. I also like to read books mostly young adult and romance books. If I'm not doing either of the two I'm usually in my studio classroom in Gould Hall doing whatever project I was assigned. Picture of Gould Hall that houses OU's College of Architecture Washington Times This summer I went on vacation in Africa. My dad was born in Zambia and spent most of his childhood there so he wanted to show us the place he grew up in. We spent two days in Lusaka where he was born, and then we went to Livingston where we saw Victoria Falls. We also spent some time in Tanzania where we took a day hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro and a week long sa